Does God still desire to change the world? Does He still envision people who will turn it upside down by radical, unselfish living? Does His love continue to be passed down from generation to generation? We answer those questions with a resounding “YES!”
what are we willing to do to see that happen?
Our dream is to see this community of believers expand so that more seekers in the Washington-Baltimore region have the opportunity to connect with God and others in a meaningful and life changing way. Since 1998, many individuals have started a relationship with Jesus and have embraced their own spiritual journey through Jesus at Crossroads. Our core membership has grown as we continue to build an authentic community of people whose heart is to journey together in life. We strive to GROW, PLANT, REAPEAT as God continues to do great things in and through our church family.
If you are at a point on your journey where you are realizing that there is more to life than paying your bills on time and enjoying your weekends, if you are seeking to explore the spiritual dimension of your life, and if you are longing to be part of a community that seeks fervently after God, Crossroads may be the place for you. While Crossroads is a “work in progress,” on these pages you will see what we are striving to become. As questions arise, ask. If you cannot find an answer, jot them down and let’s meet for coffee and discuss them. We want you to find what you’re looking for, and we believe God has the answers.
two simple commandments
Jesus called his followers to pursue a life devoted to a new kind of kingdom, one of love and sacrifice, traveling along paths of renewal for the sake of His purposes. He offered new ways of real living and giving of ourselves to make His name famous in the entire world. When asked what the most important portion of the Bible was, Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” Matthew 22:37-39
These two simple commandments, to love God and to love our neighbors, are our criteria for life. They play out in the following ways:
- Crossroads desires to be a safe place for those whose life journeys have become a spiritual search for meaning, significance, and acceptance. We strive to create a safe, open environment for each person to walk with God at his or her own pace.
- Crossroads desires to be a church impassioned by the example of the New Testament church in the early chapters of the book of Acts. We believe God is seeking a group of people surrendered to Him so that His Spirit can breathe life into the community and demonstrate love, grace and mercy to those in need.
- Crossroads desires to be a church that embraces the Great Commission fully. Jesus gave His followers in Matthew 28:19, “. . . go and make disciples of all nations . . .” Through personal life transformation, financial partnerships, social action, and public service, we strive to communicate the unconditional love of God through our words and our actions.
- Crossroads desires to be a church that in some way meets every day. Jesus told His followers that where “two or three [were] gathered,” He would be with them. Whether in a school, a home, or a restaurant, doing life together in multiple settings builds healthy community.
- Crossroads desires to live and reveal the Kingdom of God in every facet of our lives. We live the kingdom of God by following the ways of Jesus, by being His disciples. We reveal the kingdom of God as God uses our lives to prompt people to open up to God. It’s a natural, healthy, and fulfilling way to live.
heartbeat of God for his disciples
Jesus chose and called specific people to follow Him; He in turn commanded them to go and connect with others in the same way. Matthew, one of Jesus’ followers, recorded some of Jesus’ final words to His disciples, “Jesus came and told His disciples, I have been given complete authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.’” Matthew 28:18-20
The key phrase in this statement is “go and make disciples of all nations.” We believe that simple statement is the very heartbeat of God for His followers. We are individual and collective works in progress, becoming disciples of Jesus in our own lives. At Crossroads, we consider ourselves missionaries who have one mission: we live and reveal the Kingdom of God in an effort to make disciples everywhere we go – going everywhere to make disciples. From our origins, we have intended for Crossroads to be a vehicle to connect with normal people who have never connected effectively with God or a community of Christian faith.